- Neurontin (Gabapentin 400mg) is an anti-epileptic drug, also called an anticonvulsant. It affects chemicals and nerves in the body that are involved in the cause of seizures and some types of pain.
- Gabapentin 400mg is used together with other medicines to treat partial seizures in adults and children at least 3 years old.
- Gabapentin 400mg is also used to treat neuropathic pain (nerve pain) caused by herpes virus or shingles (herpes zoster) in adults.
- Use only the brand and form of gabapentin your doctor has prescribed. Check your medicine each time you get a refill to make sure you receive the correct form.
- The Gralise brand of gabapentin 400mg is indicated for the management of neuropathic pain only. It is not used for epilepsy.
- Horizant is used to treat nerve pain and restless legs syndrome (RLS).
- The Neurontin brand is used to treat seizures in adults and children who are at least 3 years old, in addition to neuropathic pain.
Before taking this medicine
- You should not use gabapentin if you are allergic to it.
- To make sure gabapentin is safe for you, tell your doctor if you have ever had:
- breathing problems or lung disease, such as chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD);
- kidney disease (or if you are on dialysis);
- depression, a mood disorder, or suicidal thoughts or actions;
- a drug addiction;
- a seizure (unless you take gabapentin to treat seizures);
- liver disease;
- heart disease; or
- (for patients with RLS) if you are a day sleeper or work a night shift.